What to do in Amsterdam?
Do you have any idea how many overnight stays in hotels Amsterdam expects for 2019?
The correct answer is C; nearly 17.5 million overnight stays in 2019. The number of hotel nights in Amsterdam has increased by about 6.5% in the first two months of this year.
Amsterdam is a crowd-pleaser, which is not surprising. Whether you visit for an afternoon or a whole week. It doesn’t matter how young or old you are or what your interests are. Amsterdam has something fun or educational to offer for everyone! Just browse the internet, and you’ll find thousands of outings and sights.
Places to visit in Amsterdam
We’ve made a selection for you from this extensive list of things to do. If you know of another must-do, please share it with us!
What to do in Amsterdam: free of charge
Are you looking for something fun to do without having to spend a buck on it? Take a look at the following options:
- Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ: thirteen free lunch concerts in the Big Aula on Thursdays (see the link for the dates). Young ensembles with a varied repertoire. An excellent way to get acquainted with the Muziekgebouw, great young talent and fantastic music.
- City walk through Amsterdam: for a city walk through Amsterdam, you don’t need to hire a guide or book a tour. There are several possibilities for a free city walk. You can find various maps online.
- The Civic Guards Gallery: don’t have time for an extensive visit to the Rijksmuseum? Then the Civic Guards Gallery is an excellent alternative. In this covered gallery of the Amsterdam Museum (right next to the Kalverstraat) there are fifteen large 17th-century militia pieces. You can admire the paintings for free.
What to do in Amsterdam: the young
A museum visit can be fun and educational. But we can imagine that your children may have other interests. Consider one of the following activities when you attend Amsterdam with your kids.
- Jumpsquare: the ultimate combination of sport, fun and conviviality in a trendy, industrial setting. Trampoline jumping at Jumpsquare is for everyone from 7 years of age (for children from 1,5 to 6 years there’s a MiniJump).
- PLEIN THEATER: on Wednesday morning, there are regular shows and activities for toddlers (from 2 years old). On Saturday and Sunday afternoons there are performances with various disciplines and contemporary themes for children and youngsters. From modern dance to hip-hop, object and puppet theater, music theater, world music, story theater, and mime.
- Jeugdland: this is a large, adventurous natural playground on the edge of the Flevopark. Jeugdland has a beautiful playground with equipment and attractions, such as cable cars, a talking arch and the high slide mountain. There are various activities and workshops, and there is a petting zoo. Jeugdland is free of charge. Check the link for opening hours (limited in autumn/winter, website in Dutch).
What to do in Amsterdam: two timeless sights
Two well-known sights in Amsterdam. Who doesn’t know them? Even if you’ve been there before, it’s always worth it to go there again!
- The Rijksmuseum: one of the largest museums in Amsterdam. The collection includes world-famous works such as Rembrandt’s ‘The Night Watch’ and paintings by Johannes Vermeer and Frans Hals. The museum also has a collection of Delft Blue, sculptures, Asian art, prints and other exceptional art objects.
- ARTIS: this is where nature, culture and heritage come together. Every tree, every animal, every building, every microbe, every planet tells its own story. The ARTIS stories have existed since 1838. Experience nature and discover its significance for our society. More awareness of life leads to more respect for everything that lives!
Staxi arranges your transport
A competent Staxi driver will take you to your destination safely and quickly in a clean and tidy taxi. Or do a sightseeing tour by taxi! Then you’ll enjoy all the beauty that Amsterdam has to offer, while also enjoying the comfort of a taxi.
Book your Staxi online or download the Staxi App. Our drivers operate day and night. Through WhatsApp, our dispatch center is available 24 hours a day.