Public transport strike
On Tuesday May 28th there’ll be a nationwide strike of all public transport in the Netherlands. Staxi will make sure you’re able to get to your destination in the Amsterdam area.
Dutch train drivers and public transport workers are going on a strike, hoping to make a decisive statement to the Dutch government to freeze the retirement age at 66. Throughout the entire country, there will be very limited services or even no trains and busses at all. In Amsterdam, workers will be on strike too.
Public transport strike in Amsterdam
- Starting Tuesday at 03:00 am until Wednesday 01:00 am there will be no tram, bus or metro services;
- The ferries crossing ‘t IJ will not sail from Tuesday 02:00 am till Wednesday 02:00 am;
- Cyclists and scooter drivers can make use of the IJ-tunnel. The tunnel is opened for “slow” traffic from Tuesday 04:00 am until Wednesday 01:00 am. During this time, the tunnel will be closed for regular traffic, including taxis;
- Check the GVB website to stay up to date about the public transport strike in Amsterdam.
Staxi is happy to be of service during the strike (and every other day as well). However, if you’re looking to book a Staxi during the strike, there are some things to keep in mind:
- Extra travel time: Lots of folks will travel by car instead of public transport this day. That means it’ll be very busy on the road, especially to and from Schiphol Airport;
- Make sure you pre-book your Staxi: due to a lot more traffic than usual, it’ll take us a little longer to get to where you’re at;
- We’re expecting it to be a very busy day at the dispatch center. As such, we’ll turn off the telephone lines. You can make your reservation online or with the Staxi App;
- Of course; you’ll get a fixed price with each reservation. Yet on this day, the rates will be slightly higher than normal. Nonetheless, you can share a Staxi with your friend or colleague and split the bill (a very Dutch thing to do). If you need to make an extra stop, you can select this option in the fare calculator.
For preparation purposes, the IJ-tunnel will be closed for all traffic starting Monday at 23:00 pm. Traveling to Amsterdam Noord will take a little longer because of this. Still, the fixed price you got from the fare calculator is exactly that: fixed. When you book with the fixed price taxi, the price surely will be fixed!